About Africa Public Health Foundation
The Africa Public Health Foundation is a grant-making charity mobilizing philanthropic and private-sector resources in service of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).
The Foundation’s mandate aligns with the vision and mission of Africa CDC (Centre for Disease Control) and shall enhance Africa CDC’s efforts to respond to health security threats in Africa.
The Africa Public Health Foundation provides the platform for philanthropists and partners to collaborate with Africa CDC so that together they can work towards a healthy, prosperous Africa. The Foundation believes that forging partnerships, in service of Africa CDC, will accomplish more to address health threats and mitigate the impacts of existing and future diseases on the continent’s most vulnerable people.
The Foundation has a vibrant council comprising the Founder and APHF council chairman, Dr. Bernard Haufiku, Amb. Dennis Awori (Vice Chair and APHF council member), Dr. Francisco Songane, Mr. Assad Abdullatiff and Ms. Aya Chebbi. Currently the Foundation has received grant funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, BD Global, and the Skoll Foundation.
About the role
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) provides leadership and direction to the APHF Secretariat to fulfill and advance the mission of the Foundation. The CEO is responsible for leading the activities of the Foundation in its achievement of the operational and strategic goals, including the success of the Foundation’s fund and donor development, fiscal management, grants, and program operations, Council relations, human capital management, community relations, and administrative matters. The CEO will serve as a communication bridge between APHF, its stakeholders and partners, including its protector, Africa CDC.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Strategy Development and Planning
- Together with the Council, the staff, and other key stakeholders, the CEO develops and executes the Foundation’s strategic plan, long term goals, and operational plans.
Fund and Donor Development
- Ensures a sustainable asset base by building long-term relationships with key donors and fund holders based on mission, cultivation, stewardship, and sound fiscal management and ensures the annual and ongoing integrity of donor intent and stewardship.
- Oversees all fund development and fundraising activities including grant writing, cultivation, and stewardship of donors, event planning, and identifying new sources of donors.
- Ensures the Foundation has the financial where-with-all to thrive and deliver on its mission.
- Including the necessary financial discipline and the investment in resources needed to achieve its goals, in alignment with the strategic plan.
- Oversees the preparation and management of the annual budget, including expense management.
- In conjunction with the Council, ensures the assets of the Foundation are invested optimally, efficiently, and in accordance with the guidelines and policies.
- Oversees the preparation of investment reports for the Council.
Grants and Philanthropic Leadership
- Oversees the Foundation’s philanthropic leadership efforts and all grantmaking activities.
- Develops new programming ideas and initiatives to benefit the Foundation in accordance with its grantmaking guidelines.
- Cultivates supportive partnerships with the Council and leads to Councillor development activities.
- Assists in the recruitment of new Council members.
- Oversees the preparation and distribution of Council / Committee materials.
- Serves as ex officio on all Council meetings and other strategic and management bodies of APHF and works with the Council leadership to implement and evaluate decisions.
- Understands and implements required activities according to the APHF charter and other guiding governance documents
Human Capital Management
- Ensures the Foundation has the necessary resources to achieve its goals and its mission and ensure that the performance of staff of APHF are aligned to support this objective.
- Manages the Foundation’s human capital, including: hiring, termination, ongoing staff development, and providing verbal and written evaluations of staff.
- Informs the Councillors regarding staffing issues as appropriate.
- Ensures that employment policies are enforced and in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and Foundation policies.
- Promotes the Foundation’s visibility through participation and membership in community forums, civic organizations, and activities that align with the Foundation’s mission and vision.
- Serves as the Foundation’s representative to the public provides education and assistance to residents and others in understanding the Foundation’s interests, mission, and concerns.
- Directs the developing and implementing a strategic marketing plan that provides a clear and concise message of the Foundation’s mission.
- Leads and oversees the administrative components of the Foundation, including grant contracts and outside consultants.
- Works with the Foundation’s legal counsel to ensure legal and regulatory compliance in all aspects of the Foundation’s operations and maintaining the Foundation’s certification.
- Designs, reviews, maintains and implements all operational policies and guidelines for the Foundation and presents these to the Council and Protector for input and approval.
- Ensures the Foundation has the appropriate communication systems, physical space, and technology to operate efficiently and effectively.
- Maintains current skills and knowledge of best practices within the field of philanthropy, attending seminars, and professional training institutes as appropriate.
Does this sound like you?
- An African national based on the continent or abroad
- A minimum of 10 years’ senior-level management experience
- A Master’s degree or above (MD/Ph.D.) in public health, health sciences, or related field and 10+ years managing and strengthening public health systems programs and workforce development
- Demonstrated leadership and success in fundraising through the cultivation of donors personally and staff and board members
- A demonstrated knowledge of and passion for the work of public charities and community philanthropy and desire to be, and ease serving as, the public face of the organization to the community
- Knowledge of effective nonprofit governance practices and first-hand experience with charitable organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of investing, asset allocation and fund accounting
- A desire and knack for working alongside highly engaged community volunteers
- Excellent public speaking skills and articulate written communication abilities
- Hiring, leading and delegating to staff as a cohesive and competent team of professionals
- Project management skills that demonstrate an ability to set and meet deadlines
- Graduate degree is an added advantage
Persons of all gender, race, sex, orientation, age, and identity are encouraged to apply.