Head of Partnerships & ProgrammesShujaaz Inc
Head of Partnerships & Programmes
About the Organisation
Shujaaz Inc. is a network of social ventures based in Kenya & Tanzania. Their ventures connect young people with the information, skills and resources they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms. They’ve proven that when young people take control of their lives, they create transformational change.
The International Emmy-award winning Shujaaz Inc team run 3 social ventures:
1. Shujaaz - multi-media youth platform Shujaaz
2. SKILLS LAB - peer-to-peer learning venture
3. MESH - online community for entrepreneurs
They are looking for an experienced, dynamic and strategic Head of Partnerships & Programmes to help grow and develop their venture SHUJAAZ.
They set up their multi-media youth platform Shujaaz, their namesake and first venture, in 2009. It is a unique digital and real-world community that gives young people across East Africa the self-belief to succeed; providing them with the inspiration, information, skills and insights they need to take control of their lives.
Today, Shujaaz has 7.3 million comic book readers, 4.4 million social media followers and receives over 60,000 SMS messages every month. Reaching 56% of young Kenyans and 24% of young Tanzanians, Shujaaz is East Africa’s biggest youth brand and it sits at the heart of their network.
Shujaaz has demonstrated the power of storytelling and media to build audiences and drive engagement, using this approach to further major development goals by driving positive social and behavioural change.
Shujaaz is powered by the brands, partners and collaborators who share the belief that this generation of young people can transform society for the better. Shujaaz is the product of 10 years of successful partnerships with like-minded organisations around the world, from the Gates Foundation and the Ikea Foundation to USAID & FCDO, to commercial partnerships with Safaricom and Coca-Cola as well as valuable relationships with service providers, CBO’s and youth groups. Together, they’ve co-created barrier-breaking solutions to some of the globe’s most intractable challenges.
Shujaaz is also brought to life by their network of thousands of people; from the 3000+ volunteer ‘SuperFans’ who accelerate their impact in communities across East Africa, to the big-data specialists who help them map and track the latest trends from their digital platforms.
Please visit their website for more information.
The Head of Partnerships & Programmes role is at the centre of Shujaaz’s ambitious strategy for growth and impact. You will lead and manage key donor relationships as well as build relationships with other partners, representing Shujaaz Inc externally. You will oversee the design and delivery of all Shujaaz programmes bringing experience in strategy development and profile-raising, with a track record of delivering programmes which deliver impact at scale.
Reporting to the Managing Director Shujaaz, you will work closely with the HOD’s to ensure Shujaaz’s programmes deliver impact and value to both their partners and to the young people they are designed for.
The Head of Partnerships & Programmes function has the following core roles:
Does this sound like you?
· Experience at a senior level of proactively developing, designing & securing funding for development projects in Africa and / or globally
· Experience of building partnerships with international development donors and other sector organizations.
· Experience of growing and managing a team, establishing robust processes and systems & enabling a team to meet multiple deadlines under pressure.
· Knowledge of international development sector trends and of the key themes in which Shujaaz Inc works.
· You have proven experience securing new business by writing dynamic, concise proposals & / or donor reports for large grants, including financial narratives
· Experience with managing complex budgets.
· Experience/understanding of social behavior change communications is an added advantage.
Additionally, the capabilities required to succeed in this role include:
• Leadership: You are a natural leader who is able to build, inspire and develop a team especially through a period of change.
• Strategic thinking: You are a strong strategic thinker that is able to respond to both tactical and long-term opportunities, working with Shujaaz’s teams (Knowledge & Learning, Media Production, Finance and Networks) to design programmes that will deliver sustainable change for youth and does so in a way that positions our organisation as an innovator and leader in the sector.
• Partnership builder: You have strong interpersonal communication and negotiation skills and are able to identify and create alignment between organisations, developing mutually-beneficial partnerships.
• Communication skills: You are a clear and compelling communicator, working with the CEO and Communications team to craft compelling proposals and reports for our donors and representing the organisation at high-profile speaking events.
• Systems thinker: You are someone who can get into the detail of a particular project but also understands the way systems and processes can deliver results at scale.
• Value-for-money-driven: You have experience in creating plans and budgets that unlock cost-efficiencies; and are someone who is always exploring new, more efficient ways of working to deliver greater value to our donors and to young people.
• Purpose alignment: You have a deep commitment to empowering our young people to take control of their lives through our ventures.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Managing Director, Shujaaz Inc.
Direct Reports: Programme Account Managers (3); Senior Research Manager (x1)
About Shujaaz Inc
Shujaaz Inc is a network of social ventures based in Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam. Their ventures inspire, entertain and mobilize 7.5 million 15-24-year-olds across East Africa. Their network connects young people with the information, skills, and resources they need to take control; embedding them in a digital and real-world community that gives them the self-belief to succeed, in their context and on their terms.
Please visit their website https://www.shujaazinc.com/about-us/ for more information.